Training: recall! | A dog's paw

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Training: recall!

2 comments
***Please note that I am NOT a dog trainer, so I am just sharing my experience with my own dogs.. 
I may be doing wrong things and I am open to suggestions :) ***

Well, we all know that one of the most important things is to be able to control our dogs.
And especially... to make them come back when called!

I thought it was kind of impossible... I've never been able!
So with Jago I started early.
I got Jago when he was 10 weeks old, a scared tiny puppy.
Since his 1st walk outside I started the recall training.
I was bringing with me treats and toys.
Obviously EVERYTHING was more interesting than me.. but, as he was very young and still unsure of himself,  he wanted to stay next to me and I used this moment to make him believe that coming back to me was GOOD!

Maybe your dog is not so young, so things can be different.

Obviously you should start in a safe place, like your garden, a dog area in a park or a place where it would not be dangerous for him to be off leash.
It's better to start in a place with not too many distractions.
I started in a green area in front of my house, very quiet.
If you are not confident enough you should buy a long lead, in the pet shops they sell also these kind of equipment.
Choose a command and always use the same.
Every time that your dog comes back to you praise him a lot and give him always very special treats or reward.
He needs to associate the idea that coming back to you is something very good.
It is very important to call him "often" and release him to go play again.
He should not think that coming back means the end of the games and going back home.

We attended puppy classes.
We were letting the puppy playing all together and then trying the recall.
Every few minutes.
It was sooo difficult as the puppies were all excited to play together!
Obviously Jago and me were the Worse of the class!
:)

But now I must say that he is quite good.
He is always coming back when I call him and stopping if I need to stop him.

Do you have any special suggestion you want to share?
Which is your experience with your dog?



2 comments :

  1. I found that this website is great.
    http://www.suppawt.com/blog/post/Reliable+Recall

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis