Games to play with your dog - TUG O'WAR | A dog's paw

Friday, August 16, 2013

Games to play with your dog - TUG O'WAR

Leave a Comment
***Please note that I am NOT a dog trainer, so I am just sharing my experience with my own dogs.. 
I may be doing wrong things and I am open to suggestions :) ***


When I decided to adopt a dog my main concern was: I don't want him to be aggressive!
For this reason until few weeks ago I never played "Tug O'War" with him.
I was sure it was a game that would teach him to be aggressive, to show aggressive behavior.
Then I started reading about the subject and I found out that it's not like I thought.
If we follow some rules and the dog is not already showing aggressive behavior it's ok to play Tug O'War and it's even good!
tug o war dogAgain, it will help to create a good relationship with our dog.
We can play everywhere, also indoor.
We will use a lot of energies.
We will teach playing some commands and he will learn when he has to stop and self-control.

You should teach your dog "drop" or "release" to be able to stop the game.
And playing tug o'war it's a funny way to practice the commands!

If for any reason the dog teeth touch your hand, immediately stop playing, yelp to make him understand it's not good and ignore him for few minutes.
It happened to me yesterday and I think Jago understood :)
Your dog might be growling, it's good for him to release his "roughness" playing a game in a safe way.

There are many dog toys that you can use for Tug O'War, try to find one that is long enough to allow a safe game.
While you are playing sometimes ask him to "drop" or "release", you have to control the game.
Don't forget to let him win sometimes, or it will not be fun!!




0 comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis