Dog sick in the car | A dog's paw

Friday, August 23, 2013

Dog sick in the car

Leave a Comment
Jago used to be always sick in the car.
Since the first time I brought him home, he started… vomiting :S
It continued for EVERY trip, no matter how long and no matter if he had food or not before.
Obviously I started  to carry around a lot of blankets, napkins, and cleaning products..

I have been asking around on forums and to the vet.
He didn't have any health issue, but he was very stressed obviously and he started hating the car.
Every time that he saw me taking the car keys he was running away, hiding, laying on the floor desperate!!
I spoke with his trainers from the puppy classes and they told me that the first thing to do was to get him used to the car.
The stress plays a big role.
So we started to spend time every day in the car, even just for few minutes.
He never wanted to enter, so I used to carry him, but that’s wrong because he has to “choose” to go in the car.
So again, I tried to make the car an “attractive place”.
I brought toys and treats and we were going for just few meters every day.
They say to begin with the engine off, after few days to start the engine, and after few days to start moving.
I bought a seat belt for dogs and I let him sit outside his crate.
I was trying to keep him busy with Kong and treats.

The dog should associate a car trip with something nice, like a park, beach, fun and not only the vet or stressful situations.

The vet also told me that growing older he could start to feel better, as when puppies they have the internal ear very sensitive.
I can say that at 11 months now he is not sick anymore!!
He doesn't like the car too much, but he is going inside on his own (very slowly and I have to “convince” him a bit) and he sleep very quiet (and a bit sad).
I tried some natural tablets but to be honest never worked.
Anyway I still avoid giving food before going for a car trip.


Do you have any suggestion or experience to share about dogs and car travel?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis